Biggest Lottery Jackpots
Fast cars, jet-setting around the world, dining in great restaurants… The life of a millionaire is alluring and seductive. But what is even more alluring is the thrill of gaining access to this extremely select club in one single life changing instant. Such as been the case with huge lottery jackpot winners over the years. Whether it’s Euro Millions, Mega Millions or Powerball, these lotteries have gained worldwide media attention with jaw dropping mega jackpots.
We start our adventure in the world of record-breaking lottery jackpots with Europe’s premiere lottery, Euro Millions. This lottery is actually a joint venture which was created in February 2004 by a consortium of 3 national lottery organisations; Camelot in the UK, la Française des Jeux in France and Spain’s Loterías y Apuestas del Estado. In October of the same year, the lotteries of Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Luxembourg, Portugal and Switzerland also joined Euro Millions. The minimum Euro Million jackpot is €17 million and is capped at €190 Million, while the average grand prize is €42.29 Million.
EuroMillions top jackpots
- €190 Million, won by Adrian and Gillian Bayford of Haverhill, Suffolk on August 10, 2012.
- €190 Million, won by an anonymous player in Portugal on October 24, 2014.
- €187,937,614, split between 2 anonymous winners in Ireland and Belgium on June 25, 2013.
This US based lottery dominates this market with the other American lottery monster, Powerball. Launched in 1996 across 44 states as well as in the US Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia., it offer draws held twice per week and players can opt in a multiplier feature by paying an extra $1. Jackpots are offered in 2 possible payments; either in the form of the advertised amount that is paid out in 30 yearly installments (annuity) or one large immediate payment in cash. Mega Millions jackpots currently start at $15 Million and there is no limit for the top prize. The average jackpot is $57.38 Million.
Mega Millions top jackpots
- $656 Million ($474 Million in cash), won on March 30, 2012, and split among 3 ticket holders in Maryland, Kansas and Illinois. This is the world’s second largest jackpot in both annuity and cash.
- $648 Million ($347.7 in cash), won on December 17, 2013, and split among 2 ticket holders in California and Georgia.
- $400 Million ($224 in cash), won on March 18, 2014, and split between 2 ticket holders in Florida and Georgia.
Powerball is the world’s biggest lottery, offering slightly larger jackpots than its main competitor, Mega Millions. Like its counterpart, it’s offered in 44 states as well as in the US Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia. Players can also opt in the Power Play feature for an extra $1 thus allowing a prize to be super-sized with a drawn multiplier. Powerball jackpots are also offered in 2 options; annuity or cash. It’s important to note that, similarly to Mega millions, annuity payments are done in increments that increase at the rate 5% per year. The minimum Powerball jackpot is $40 Million (annuity), which is more than twice the minimum top prize of Mega Million. There’s no limit on the jackpot and the average grand prize is $61.89 Million, which is slightly higher than Mega Million’s $57.38 Million and Euro Million’s €42.29 Million.
Mega Millions top jackpots
- $1.586 billion ($983.5 Million in cash), won on January 13, 2016 and split between 3 ticket holders in California, Florida and Tennessee. This staggering prize is by far the world’s biggest lottery jackpot, dwarfing the second spot of $656 Million.
- $590.5 Million ($370.9 Million in cash), won on May 18, 2013, by one Florida ticket holder.
- $587.5 Million ($384.7 Million in cash), won on November 28, 2012 by 2 ticket holders in Arizona and Missouri.
If you are looking for a great option to play these lotteries, our suggestion would be Wshful. However, given the odds of actually winning these jackpots are so long, you might be better off looking at cash raffles, which typically have much better odds, especially if you use a site such as Odurn.